If you’re reading this blog, you’ve either integrated asset tracking into your company or you’re looking to adopt this technology in the near future. On its surface, a Real-time Location Service (RTLS) solution may not seem to be overly complex, however, its technical aspects are things many don’t like to think about.
Asset tracking is the method of tracking physical assets through the use of scannable barcodes or through the use of Radio-frequency Identification (RFID) or GPS which broadcast their location. The use of these resources has given companies the competitive edge needed to become more scalable, safer and profitable.
The market for asset tracking continues to mature and while many organizations are looking to adopt this technology, what truly drives the success of a seamless asset tracking platform is often overlooked.
So, how can you have success with asset tracking? Below we list the essential characteristics to assist you with having a successful asset tracking platform.
9 Things You Must Have in an Asset Tracking Platform
- Interoperability - For a seamless asset tracking platform, interoperability is essential. Interoperability describes how well your platform can interact with and adopt third party products. The need for interoperability allows you to eliminate the risk of being locked into one vendor and allows you to cut costs by choosing which products work best for you.
- Extensibility - Are your systems capable of communicating with other systems? For optimal success, your devices must be able to consistently and accurately exchange data information. It’s crucial that systems have the capacity to adopt future accommodations and advances such as new functionality and alterations in systems.
- Scalability - Your systems should be flexible in nature. The ability to adapt, and to have hardware and software that doesn’t require long periods of time is critical to having a seamless platform.
- Security - An asset tracking platform requires a vast amount of private information from both the vendor and their clients. To avoid interruptions, security preventions and protocols should be in place to block access from hackers or viruses that try to enter your systems.
- Configurability - It is important that your tags are customizable regarding how often it updates. There are four options including: Cell Tower, Polte, WiFi Lookup, GPS, and indoor positioning. Each of these require a different level of battery power and provides a different level of accuracy in asset tracking. Your customers should be able to choose the level that best fits their operation.
- Remote Management - Your tags should have the ability to update its software over the air. I The tags should also be able to provide critical information about the asset it is tracking without requiring you to be on site.
- Device Management - How can devices be managed and communicate which assets are giving you problems? This has to do with the ability to change a device from one asset to another or to a group of assets. Good device management gives you the capability to reuse tags, rename assets, filter, and update how you assign tags and assets to each other.
- Network - Your system needs to manage the complexity of network operations. Are your tags dependent on one network? Or can it operate despite complex IT infrastructures? The ability to operate amid complex IT infrastructures will give you an edge against other asset tracking solutions.
- Dev-Ops - You want an asset tracking company that is continuing to innovate with its firmware and software to provide a constantly improving platform with the use of new capabilities and new analytics that improve your business. Your system should be able to keep improving overtime without time and effort expended by you.
As you evaluate asset tracking platforms, be sure to consider the 9 things you must have to be successful.
Are you ready to have a successful asset tracking platform?
Link-Labs can provide you with a successful asset tracking platform. Whether it is indoor asset tracking or outdoor asset tracking, our integrated solutions provide insights with dashboard analytics from your tags so you have the data points needed to make the right business decisions. We also provide the ability to take action via workflow and API integration so that you can set up processes that change the way work gets done to make things more efficient, drive better customer support, and deliver value.
Interested in learning more? Reach out to us at Link-Labs to find out how we can help you create a successful asset tracking platform.
To find out how your business can achieve “peace of mind” when selecting an RTLS solution, check out our case study today.